Tuesday 10 January 2017

New look and first test

The 31st of December I've finally got the fairing from perfect-fairings (order placed the 18th of November). No worries, but it is good to know.

The fairing is well made, not made by cheap thing fiberglass and moreover the use mesh fiberglass, so it is very tough.

I asked them make it blank, because I wanted to use it with the big "swiss" square light, so I would have to cut out the hole for the light by myself. Not a big deal.

 Race-ready XRV 650

 The fairing with supports and the hole for the light.


The things that disappointed me, is that the fairing didn't have the 4 thread for fixing it at the light frame. So I had to build some support by meslf.

Moreover, the fairing is a bit  longer (around 3) cm than the standard one. I noticed this when I had already done the 4 supports for it, so I kept it like this.

I've made a instruments panel out of plexiglass with a laser cutter.

Placing the plexiglass intrumental panel.

After painting the fairing with the original scheme (Not standard color sadly), refinishing the internal of the fairing with matt black and putting everything at its place, here it is the bike:

Almost ready for everything.

I still have to put a 2 mm plexiglass protection on the light.

 The very rare Arrow Paris Dakar.

 The instrumental panel. The GPS support is mounted on silent blocks.
I still have to move the clock.

I've also cut a thin foam for the air intake and I've placed a PA sock at the entrance, so that it is a very efficient prefilter and it can really be cleaned easily . In fact it is possible to move the sock a little bit in order to have it clean at the intake: so cleaning the sock it is not necessary to clean it often!
I've also removed the part of the air intake under the tank's cap because it was not necessary at all for fixing the air intake.

PA sock athe the air intake.

I went for a 300 km ride, up to 1600 meters over the sea level with temperatures from -7° C up to 5° C. A very nice day with no traffic on the roads. The air intake proved to be good and the jetting of the bike is more or less fine. Let's see when the weather will be hotter, but I don't feel like it will be necessary to modify anything.
An issue of the upper air intake is the following: At high speeds (More than 80 kilometers per hour) standing in front during the ride modifies the pressure at the air intake, so more air pass through it and the engine runs lean.
It is not a big issues, since this happens only when I stand with straight legs, this happens only when I've been riding for many kilometers and I want to stretch myself. When I ride offroad legs are never straight, so I'm more leaned back and there is no issue

In Ponte Tresa around 9 o'clock.

A detailed report of the ride can be found here:
http://motoalpinismo.it/smf/index.php?topic=14859.msg167945#new

Thanks to Bikerider for riding with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment