Sunday 14 August 2016

Marathon, day 2, 1579 km, Vidin in Bulgaria

The Marathon is the Marathon. With more than 750 km per day on normal roads, it is the fastest part of the trip and the toughest one for my ass. On the first day I started at 5 o'clock instead of 7 o'clock because I wasn't able to sleep. At 7 o'clock I was on the top of Aprica, despite the Summer, the temperature was 7 degrees celsius. After passing Ponte di Legno, I've hit Bolzano I rode up to the Pustertal. On the Italian side there was a traffic jam, a lot of people started swearing because I wasn't waiting on the "queue".
Austrian roads were amazing and the speed limit at 100 km/h is very welcome. After climbing the Wurzenpass I was in Slovenia riding near Bled amazing country, in the EU and so are the prices. The first night I've slept near Ptuj.

Top of the Wurzenpass.

Today was a tough day but the weather was amazing, the temperatures were around 27 degrees celsius. I've entered Croatia near Ptuj and I've ridden down to Osjiek on the road near an invisible Donau (because the Land was completely flat) and the Hungarian border. Croatia is a double face country, modern on the sea, old Balkan style inland. Roads are nice but Ive ridden in a very full of farms region, so there were houses along the roads I've followed, as consequence speed limits were very low, this point and the flat land made Croatia a pain in the ass this time (It won't be like this on the way back). I've seen the Donau for the first time in my life when I crossed a bridge for the Serbian customs.

 The Donau divides Croatia and Serbia.

I've passed Novi Sad and near Beograd. Everything was flat and full of fields. Near some cities it was full of garbage and in some villages, also in the center of the town. After more than 500 km of flatlands, I've reached Golubac, a very beautiful city on the Donau, near Romania. It looked like it is a Sommer destination for young people.


The Donau near Golubac, on the other side of the river there is Rumania.

The road after Golubac was on the Donau and it was very nice and the views amazing. I've entered Bulgaria Vidin, were I am right now writing this report. Bulgaria seems funny so far and roads were perfect, but from what I've seen on the Street View, I know it will change.

 The view from the hotel in Vidin. The hotel was amazing: Soviet style.
But the room was like a flat: it had a living room with 2 couches and a kitchen, 
a bedroom and a huge bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment