Tuesday 16 August 2016

Marathon, day 4, 317 km, Şile in Turkey

Today I took it easy. The man serving the breakfast was more social and we had a small talk about general stuff and at the end I asked him for a Kürpa (I said Kurpa so he wasn't understanding, I showed the word to him and he got what I was looking for, a rag!), so I was able to clean the chain (I had the teflon based chain spray on it, amazing product but very sticky, so not good for offroad use), I've checked the front wheel bearings and the spokes. Everything was perfect and so I could start riding. 

I took the motorway till the border with Turkey, it was almost empty. 
Arrived at the border, I was very happy to see that there were just 8 cars in front of me! On the other direction, there was an huge traffic jam, full of european cars going back home...or leaving home, that's a philosophycal question!
Passaport check, vehicle check, luggage check (the officer just touched my luggages without opening them). After that another vehicle documents check I was in Turkey! I

Just after the border crossing near Edirne.

I've passed straight through Edirne and finally I was able to see something different from a post comunism city: roads crowded of noisy and funny people: amazing. At stop lights some people asked me questions in Turkish, I started laghing because I wasn't understanding a word and they always replied by laghing together with me. It is impressive how much they are building in this area, there are big and new roads everywhere and they are building even more!

Somewhere on the D020 before the Bosphorus.

At a gas station an old men looked at my number plate and he was wondering where I came from. Inside he told his son to ask me, because he was able to speak a little bit of German and English and he ended up explaining his father that Switzerland has 3 different languages, etc. That man was so confused about that.
I've reached the north bridge on the Bosphorus at 17 o'clock, perfect time for the big traffic jam of people that have finished working! 

I adapted fast to the rules:
1) 2 weeled vehicles are able to use the emergency lane.
2) if you use the horn, the cars will move out of your way and you have the priority!

Easy peasy, the police came behind me on the emergency lane with full sirens on, I thought it was time to pay a fine but actually they just wanted to overtake me so I started following them and at some point there where 2 officer on the emergency lane so I thought that was the real time for paying the fine but they made a sign to me to go on and they stopped the car behind me. After skipping 15 km of traffic jam I was almost arrived in Şile, a beautiful city on the Black Sea, where the people of Istanbul go on holidays!


No comments:

Post a Comment