Monday 22 August 2016

Meeting the Kartvelebi, day 10, 385 km, Gori in Georgia

Today was the toughest day so far. I couldn't sleep well because I was feeling sick, at 8 o'clock I woke up and I got pinned down on the toilet for one hour. After that I've eaten something for breakfast and I left Mestia direction Ushguli. Mestia is a very nice and turistic city, it is the first place in Georgia where I've heard people speaking German and English. The road to Ushguli was paved for 20 km and unpaved for 20 km. The unpaved part was very nice and I could hit speed up to 80 km/h.

Murkmeli and Ushguli.

 Before Ushguli there were some small agglomerations of houses with typical defensive towers. Ushguli is around 2200 m above the sea level and and it looks very old. The view on the mountains ( some of them are 5000+ meters) around is breathtaking. I've bought a Cola because I was still feeling sick. 
The ride must go on anyway! 

Climbing up the Zagar pass.

Ready for takeoff!

I continued on the direction of the Zagar pass (2623 m), climbed it and then down to Lentekhi. Tough ride because most of the road was muddy, but the nature was uncontaminated and views were amazing. After I was there all plants and flowers died for sure due to my CO2 emission. Sorry for this Georgia. 

Back in 2012 this road was unpaved!

Then after 90 kms of unpaved roads I was in Lentekhi, I went to Tsageri, there I've climbed the road to Orbeli and from there on I've followed paved and unpaved roads through Patara Oni, Zedra Shavra and Tkibuli. The climate started to change, from subtropical with high umidity it started turning into an arid one. In Turkey I had temperatures up to 37 degrees celsius, Today at some point there were 41 degrees celsius with high humidity, I was completely soaked...at least my balls couldn't burn. Tkibuli and Chiatura are soviet style cities. Chiatura looks very nice because it was full of cableways, since the city is built between canyons. Have a look at this album for some pics: https://m.facebook.com/Georgian-Roads-130936246968…/photos/…
After Chiatura I went straight to Gori. In total today I rode around 150 km on unpaved roads, I was able to clean the motorbike in Gori. This is the city where holy and mighty comrade Stalin was born, so it is the right time for: Privet tovarish!
 If tomorrow my stomach will still be upside down, I will spend 2 days here for recovering, comrades! Moreover is plenty of historical things to see and that I have to see, for mother Russia. Comrades, for today it is all and remember, better dead than red, oh wrong one, Workers of all land unite!

No comments:

Post a Comment