Tuesday 23 August 2016

Meeting the Kartvelebi, day 11, 71 km, Gori in Georgia

My stomach is still in Australia. Today I took a tour of Gori, a very nice and small city near Tbilisi. I went to the Stalin museum, very nice, it seems like he did just a lot of good things, nothing it's said about Gulags, the pact with Hitler, etc. 
Well comrades, propaganda is propaganda. 
On the middle of the Stalin Avenue there is also a Mausuleum, inside of it there is the house were Stalin lived his first years of life. A very nice part of Gori is the giant fortress: on the top of a steep hill, high walls, a lot of towers, looks like something that was impossible to conquer by direct attack. On the bottom of the hill there is a monument, memorial of the 2008 war against mother Russia: Gori was bombed and then conquered by the Russian, some prople died by trying to defend the city, so the memorial is made of some mutilated middle age warriors. 

Monument to the fallen of the war with Russia in 2008

After this small tour of Gori, I went to Uplistsikhe, an ancient cave town. The entrance was only 3 Lari and as student I got in for 1...The city is from the 6th century BC, but it reached the maximum expansion ( around 20k person) after the 645 AC, when the Arabs conquered Tbilisi. In 1240 it was completely destroyed by the Mongols (thanks to Lonely Planet for all these information). They screwed with everything the same way as Attila did. 
Attila was around 420 AC, the Mongols 1240 AC, so I suppose in 2060 AC an horde of Mongols/Chinese will destroy Europe again. 

Uplistsikhe offers very nice views!

Easy peasy I might be dead by then. Then I moved to Ateni Sioni, by following no roads, the best way for completely feeling free. Moreover it was an Ignoranza Enduristica ride, because I was wearing sneakers, shorts and a tank top. 

Ignoranza enduristica, going outisde roads with shorts, tank top and sneakers. Gloves and helm always on!

Ateni Sioni is under renoval, so I could just see it from quite far away. Then I followed the road to Biisi, along this road there are a lot of spots were it is possible to bath, in Biisi itself there is a public shower with a thermal water (They are building water pipes along the road right now). Chill day, let's hope that tomorrow I will feel better because the Georgian Military Highway awaits me!

No comments:

Post a Comment