Thursday 25 August 2016

Meeting the Kartvelebi, day 13, 6k something km, Tblisi in Georgia

I woke up around 0630 local time, I've slept very well and the temperature this morning was 13 degrees celsius. I've packed everything up and I started riding direction Shatili. I was on the tough road to Shatili and not on the main one, according to the GPS. After a turn, I entered an abandoned road, so I had to fight against trees and fallen rocks.

Zhinvali reservoir.
At some point there was no more road and I was riding on a path. I had to give up because there were some narrow and steep stairs, which didn't allow a fully loaded Africa Twin to pass. 

The road to Shatili on the west side Zhinvali reservoir is not a road. I had to ride back, very tough to pass there with fully loaded Africa Twin, moreover being alone doesn't push you to do such things.

So I had to go back to Ananuri and ride on the main and only road to Shatili, which is 100 km long. Very nice road, 70% is unpaved and there is a 2500 m pass about 20 km before Shatili, the road goes on after Shatili and actually it came close (800 meters) to the border with Russia and once it was possible to cross this border, which was not a border, comrades, during holy great CCCP times. Shatili is nice but nothing special, the fortess in Truso valley was more magical. 

Shatili, this region is amazing!

But the road to Shatili worth the travel. The road backwards was eve better and the views were stunning all along it.

The road to Shatili.

I came back and after 1 km that I was again on the Georgian Military Highway, I've heard a noise and a shock on the rear wheel, I've stopped immediately and I realized that the chain slider on the swing arm was broken. I removed the remains of it and luckily I was able to cut the bottom part in order to fit as top part, where otherwise the chain would have touched the aluminium swing arm. The bottom part is needed on bumps, so less essential.

I headed to Tbilisi slowly and I looked for a spare parts: the welcoming broken Africa Twin at that shop is apparently there in order to be fixed, so i couldn't get that one. Tomorrow I will try to build something somehow that will have to last for the next 2 weeks till Greece. I will spend the night out in Tbilisi.

More tomorrow, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment